James Hurd Nixon is Co-Founder and Principal of Sustainable Systems, a for-profit corporation specializing in regional initiatives, sustainable economic development, and web strategies. He is also President of Global Urban Development (GUD), an international not-for-profit specializing in Metropolitan Economic Strategies leading to sustainable innovation and inclusive prosperity.
He is lead consultant for the East Bay Broadband Consortium (EBBC), a regional initiative to formulate and implement a Broadband strategy to acquire Gigabit Broadband and help bridge the digital divide in Alameda, Contra Costa, and Solano Counties in California.
He is Treasurer of the Alliance for Community Development, a not-for-profit corporation that sponsors Bay Area Capital Connections and the Bay Area Equity Fund, Bay Area Capital Connections, and the Bay Area Entrepreneurship Alliance.
He coordinates the Planetary Philosophy website
Previously, Mr. Nixon served as:
- Lead consultant to the Bay Area Council for the Bay Area Family of Funds, a $250 million double bottom line investment initiative that made investments in low- and moderate- income neighborhoods in the Bay Area.
- Lead consultant to the Mayor’s Office in San Antonio Texas for Mission Verde, San Antonio’s Sustainable Economic Development Strategy.
- Team Leader for the GUD Team that produced Prosperity in Paradise, a Sustainable Economic Development Strategy for Sarasota County Florida.
- Co-coordinator of three Building the Sustainable Economy conferences, two in New York City, and one in Havana Cuba, that brought together leaders of the Sustainable Development Movement from around the U.S. and the world.
- Senior Vice President of Progressive Asset Management, the first full-service broker/dealer specializing in socially responsible investment.